This recipe is adapted from a Spice and Spirit recipe. It is a cooked fish recipe but pickled-style.
- 1 salmon fillet or equivalent in other fish (I got four small fillets of a different fish – don’t ask me which)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar and/or lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. of each: salt, cinnamon, cloves, (allspice)
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds (left this out this time – it’s an important ingredient but came out OK without it)
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorns (left this out too)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or whole
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, quartered
- In a pot, bring all the ingredients besides the fish to a boil.
- Cool the liquid on a low heat for 10-20 minutes.
- Add the fish.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate.
Supposedly this fish stays good for up to two weeks.