I am not a person that loves tradition. I have the personality that tends to rail against tradition. Why should I do something just because everyone else is doing it? Traditions should be challenged.
What Judaism has taught me is that tradition has a special place in passing along some of the important actions and interactions of a community.
Here are some of my favorite traditions:
- Lighting Shabbat candles, blessings over the wine and Challah
- Shabbat without the tethers of work
- Food, drink and family with each holiday occasion
- Encouraging learning
- Practice doing
- Focus on the making the mundane holy
- Passover dinner
- Hannukah stories (Eric Kimmel is my favorite)
- Building a Succah
- Wearing my Kippah
What are your favorite traditions?